Soak Up Your Summer

Some activities to keep you out and about this summer

Joselyn Carrillo, Staff Writer

Summer is right around the corner. Here in Colorado, there are many activities to do over the summer. Some of these activities are going hiking, national parks, attending concerts or festivals, going camping, visiting a hot spring, visiting a museum, and many more things.

In Colorado, there are the most beautiful hiking trails. Some of the popular trails are Hanging Lake, Maroon Bells, and the Garden of the Gods. Rocky Mountain National Park is a must-visit park for anyone traveling to Colorado. This park is over 400 square miles that offer plenty of activities like hiking, wildlife viewing, and wonderful drives.

Visiting Colorado Rivers is also another outdoor activity for the summer of 2023. They offer many opportunities for water sports. For example rafting, kayaking, and fishing. You can also take a river tour to see the beautiful canyons and wildlife along some of Colorado’s rivers. Mountain biking trails are a great opportunity to get to know the outdoors better, they are a thrilling and challenging experience for some. Some popular trails are the 401 Trail, the Monarch Crest Trail, and the Kokopelli Trail.

Colorado also has many beautiful campsites that can break you out of the same everyday routines. Some popular campsites are found at Rocky Mountain National Park, the Great Sand Dunes National Park, and Mesa Verde National Park. Another activity that can distract you from all your stress and worries is natural hot springs. There are many that offer a relaxing and rejuvenating experience. Some well-known hot springs are Glenwood Hot Springs, Strawberry Park Hot Springs, and Mount Princeton Hot Springs.

The outdoors is also a way to distract yourself. Many students may be getting their licenses this summer which means they can drive around and explore Colorado and its beautiful views. Some popular drives are the Peak to Peak Scenic Byway, Trail Ridge Road, and the Million Dollar Highway.

Concerts and festivals are a great way to meet new people and experience new things. In Colorado, they have music scenes, many concerts, and festivals throughout the summer. Some of the most popular events are the Telluride Bluegrass Festival, the Greeley Stampede, Colorado Music Festival, and the Red Rocks Amphitheatre Summer Concert Series

Many people don’t like the outdoors, and there are plenty of indoor activities. Denver has many museums that can be a learning experience. Some museums are the Denver Art Museum, the Denver Museum of Nature and Science, and the Museum of Contemporary Art Denver. Art lovers can also check out the Meow Wolf art installation Convergence Station. Zoos may also be a learning experience for some. Some zoos in Colorado are the Wild Life Sanctuary, Denver Zoo, and the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo. For the seventh year in a row, the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo has been voted one of North America’s top ten zoos.