Irish Wish starring Lindsay Lohan is a romcom movie with a twisted love story
Be Careful For What You Wish For
Kaylee Ledgerwood, Staff Writer • April 12, 2024
New film with Snoop dog didn’t disappoint and surprised many viewers with how much they enjoyed the film=.
Underdogg Film of the Year
Philimon Sang, Staff Writer • April 2, 2024
I Matter is all about embracing your true self and being who you really want to be.
If You Need Help, Remember I Matter
Emma Phillips, Sports Editor • March 26, 2024
Millie Bobby Brown stars in a fantasy movie and does a great job bringing the story to life.
A Damsel In Distress
Kaylee Ledgerwood, Staff Writer • March 25, 2024

Is Cheer a Sport?

Cheerleading has brought conflict to weather or not it is a “real” sport
Courtesy of Hazel Mciver Oun
The FHS cheerleading team works hard and never fails to show up for sporting events to show the most school spirit. They are there to do what they do best with the crowd having their back each time.

There are many people who say cheerleading isn’t a “real” sport. And of course some that do see it as a sport. Ive found that majority of people who say that cheer isnt a sport are boys.

The definition of a sport is, “an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.” So if were really looking into if cheer is a sport or not by definition it would be because it hits every mark of what a “real” sport should be.

One of Frederick’s volleyball players, Maribel De Luna-Oun, says “I do believe cheer is a sport because it’s a mix of ballet and gymnastics, which teaches a lot of discipline and skill.” Maribel also did gymnastics when she was younger, so she kind of knows how it feels. Maribel also says, “It may not be a popular sport, but it’s just as important as any other sport.” Maribel asks that if cheer is not a sport, then why else would you have to try out for it? She says “They compete in nationals, and they cheer for other sports such as football”.

Making a perfect point if you really think about it you could question if any physical activity that we call a sport is truly a sport.

A lot of people may say cheer isn’t a sport because they never see cheerleaders conditioning like football or basketball players. Not only from personal experience but, cheerleaders do have to do conditioning because they have to build up that endurance to be able to do things like tumbling and stunts. Cheerleaders here at Frederick practice every day after school; they practice for their nationals and for all the games they have to cheer at.

Like many other sports cheerleading is a full commitment for each player who participates. Cheerleaders still have long days of practice, conditioning, strength training etc. Or else how would the team be able to perform the way were able to see them at every sports event.

A varsity football player at Frederick Nash Oteken says that it would depend on what kind of cheer we would be talking about. He says “If you are competing, then it would be a sport, but if you’re just cheering for other sports, then I wouldn’t consider it a sport”

Cheer can still be a sport weather or not you’re competing. I think that it has a lot of potential, and you work just as hard as any athlete does from any other sport. Going to competitions can be really big for cheerleaders too. In some states, cheerleading is really big. Even if you are not competing, you are still doing something productive because if you’re just cheering for other teams, you’re building yourself up to actually compete.

Going to a competition can be really nerve-wracking for most cheerleaders, just like when football has or goes to state or national championships. Cheer is a good way to build strength and endurance; like other sports build strength and endurance as well.

Overall the question can and will also ways be asked if cheer is a sport. But theres many information and details to back that it truly is not only by definition but how a cheer team is able to prove themselves in many different aspects of how it is a sport.