Jocie makes sure she is working hard on and off the field to see the results that she is very deserving of.
JOCIE SIMMONS: CAPTAIN KNOWS BEST
Kaya Paluda, Editor in Chief • February 25, 2024
A huge and lasting problem about foster care has cam to surface finally. Colorado had hope to help out foster kids.
Colorado is With The Kids
Kaya Paluda, Editor in Chief • February 23, 2024
Lisa Frankenstein is Dumb Fun
Lisa Frankenstein is Dumb Fun
Kendan Cartwright, Staff Writer • February 22, 2024
Traveling can be stressful sometimes. Taking others advice can help you out.
Traveling Essentials
Philimon Sang, Staff Writer • February 19, 2024
Robin Hood and his merry men meet the Sheriff of Nottingham and Maid Marian in Sherwood Forest. Left to right is Ellie Palmer as Maid Marian, Shaun Furr as the sheriff, Michael Allred as Robin Hood, Cooper Dujardin as Little John, Teagan Veile as Alan Adale, Liam Pettit as Friar Tuck, Ella Jackson as Will Scarlet, and Leea Beeker as the stage manager.
Robin Hood Hits Its’ Target
Isabel Howell, Staff Writer • February 17, 2024

Homework Overload

Should the amount of homework getting assigned be decreased?
Students have other priorities other than school and having overloads of unessasary homework isn’t helping them out at all. (Maddy Mortinson)

As a high school student, what is your biggest pet peeve? I would say a majority of students’ biggest problem is getting assigned too much homework. 

In my opinion, getting assigned too much homework is one of the most stressful and annoying things. One of the primary concerns regarding homework is the overwhelming burden it places on students. With extracurricular activities, part-time jobs, and athletic commitments, students often find themselves not having time for these 2-6 hours they spend doing homework. The pressure to complete numerous assignments can lead to stress, anxiety, and, in some cases, burnout. 

When students are drowned with assignments, they may resort to completing them poorly just to meet the deadlines. This rush to finish assignments can teach bad habits and make the students not learn anything at all. Now I’m not agreeing with no homework at all, I just think the teachers should lay off a little bit. Having 6-8 classes that give you an hour of homework each day, you’re doing homework for hours and hours. High school is a time to have fun and enjoy life, but when you’re stressed out about homework and locked in your room for hours, it’s not healthy. 

Not all students learn in the same way or at the same pace. While some students may benefit from homework as a reinforcement tool, others may struggle with the assignments. Personally, I can never do homework at home. There’s so much that constantly distracts me. The mental and physical well-being of students should be a top priority in any educational system. Excessive homework can contribute to sleep deprivation and stress-related health issues. Homework sometimes requires parental involvement, which can be challenging for families with working parents or limited resources. Students often need help with their homework and their first option is their parents. Striking a balance between school and family life is essential for a child’s development. Reducing the homework load would allow families to spend more quality time together, creating better bonds and allowing students to spend more time with families rather than in their rooms.

While homework is considered a big tool in high school, it comes down to how much you learn out of homework. Too much homework causes too much stress and bad habits. I believe that these things we learn and get taught should be in the classroom not learning things on homework that the students either don’t look at or rush so they actually never learned anything. Homework amounts should be decreased.