JJ STROJINC: Future Entrepreneur

Senior JJ Strojnic plans to go from playing basketball to playing the market
Tarcio Lopes

From Indiana to Colorado, changing ambiance during the pandemic to feeling like a true Coloradan, JJ Strojinc, a phenomenal basketball player, has big plans for the future. Although college is right around the corner, the indecisiveness of senior year hits. “I mean, I don’t know what I want to do. You know what I mean. There are so many choices,” said JJ.

Although you can grow in a new environment, your roots remain where you came from. For JJ, that’s Indiana, where he grew up near his family. “I was really close to my grandma growing up. My family has always been family-oriented; I couldn’t live without them. They have made me who I am today,” explained JJ. Having little to no family in Colorado hasn’t been an obstacle; his friends have become part of his family.

JJ Strojinc’s passion for basketball didn’t just start in Indiana. It began at home. “Both my parents hooped; it runs in the family,” stated JJ. “I used to go to the Monon Center (a community center in Indiana) every day after school. I played basketball there with my friends Thorne and Damarcus. Damarcus would come to the gym with his son and coach me.” The people you come across leave a part of themselves in you, whether it’s a skill or even a memory of who they were for you. “You can’t forget the people who helped you up,” explained JJ.

Having an older sibling helps you become a better version of yourself. JJ is the oldest, but he soon felt as if he had gained an older brother when he met Thorne. “I never had anyone to look up to up until Thorne. He was the older brother I wanted but never had. He would play basketball with me, even though I was some crazy kid,” said JJ.

Thorne wasn’t just a role model for JJ; he was an influence in his life. “Thorne is who inspired me in my dream to play overseas. I also think it would be cool to play overseas; it would be a different atmosphere. I feel like my playstyle would fit more in Europe; it’s paced differently,” said JJ.

Pursuing basketball is foreseeable in JJ’s future. “If I go to college, I want to major in economics and continue to play basketball. I mean, I want to major in economics because I think it is important to understand how the economy is run. Having the ability to understand people, business, the market, and government is essential to being in touch with the reality of the world.”

Sometimes having a plan in life isn’t the best; there can be obstacles that will hold you back from your perfect timeline. That is why having a backup plan or even different plans in general can take some stress off.

JJ’s ultimate dream is to become a stock trader. “I’ve always had an interest in trading stocks, but my uncle sparked that inspiration into reality. My uncle used to trade in the crypto market, and I found it very intriguing how he could make his money work for him,” said JJ.

Many times people interpret the want for money as greed, but JJ is driven by a different goal: he wants to help his family. “It might seem like I’m this money-hungry person, but I just want to help the people around me; that’s all I’ve wanted to do all my life.” Sacrificing your own time for the people you love is a small price to pay for the happiness of your family.