Picking Out a Fantastic Miner’s Day

Frederick’s annual celebration of Miners Day will kick off Saturday, September 18

Courtesy of the Town of Frederick

Starting in 2003, Miners Day is a holiday that commemorates the heritage of Frederick.

Joshua Bailey, Editor in Chief

In one week, hundreds will gather to celebrate Frederick’s local and most renowned holiday Miners Day. The celebration will take place on Saturday, September 18 at Centennial Park, 630 Eighth Street. Although this is a prominent holiday that helps contribute to the small-town feel of Frederick, this year’s celebration in the wake of COVID isolation should be more memorable and exciting than ever. 

Miners Day celebrates the Italian immigrants who ventured to the area to make $2 a day working at Frederick’s coal mines. These men and women became our town founders, and while they are often forgotten, Miners Day honors their memory and the heritage they gave to our town. During Miners Day, students and families can enjoy a parade (that will start from the firehouse at 10:00 AM and end at Centennial Park), watch local concerts, eat from several food trucks, and view a fireworks show at 9:00 PM. 

Kevin Brown, longtime director of choral music at Frederick High School, is a trustee for the town of Frederick and “the official liaison to the board for the Miners Day committee– I help the team plan and prepare for the event,” a process that takes an entire year. Brown has been involved with the Miner’s Day committee for five years and feels that this year will be one of the most important celebrations yet.

Since its inception in 2003, Miner’s Day has grown in magnitude. However, last year’s event was, according to Brown, “massively scaled down due to COVID.” For example, one of the traditions in past Miner’s Day celebrations was gathering all the former miners in the area to share old stories of the town. However, with so many of these men being deceased or unable to attend, 2020’s event replaced this with a wreath ceremony at Crist Park to honor the miners that have passed on. This year looks to be a return to regularity for Miner’s Day. While this year’s commemoration will continue the wreath ceremony, there will be more of the traditional food, music, and fun that was lacking with last year’s restrictions.

And what of this year’s COVID restrictions? Brown said, “We will operate using the outdoor event guidelines from Weld County. Basically, if you feel safer wearing a mask, you are welcome to do so, but no enforcement will be in place.  We will have masks on-site at the Town of Frederick booth, as well as plenty of places to wash their hands and sanitize as desired.” 

This year’s Miner’s Day surely looks to be promising, and hopefully the Frederick community will embrace its past with this unique, appealing, family-friendly holiday. 

IF YOU GO: Miner’s Day will start with the wreath ceremony at 8 AM at the Miner’s Museum in downtown Frederick, followed immediately by the 5K run and 1-mile Fun Run. At 10 AM, the Miner’s Parade will begin, followed by the Burro Race at Fifth and Locust. The rest of the afternoon will have exhibitions, games, and live music, culminating in a fireworks display at 9PM. For more information, go to frederickco.gov/240/Miners-Day.