Spain Makes History as FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023 Champion

Spain are the new World Cup champions, but their success has led to a political scandal back home
Champions%21+Spain+won+their+first+ever+FIFA+Women%E2%80%99s+World+Cup+of+2023+in+the+matchup+against+England+with+a+1-0+lead.+
ABC News
Champions! Spain won their first ever FIFA Women’s World Cup of 2023 in the matchup against England with a 1-0 lead.

Spain took the victory against England 1-0 in the final for the 2023 Women’s World Cup. Spain made history winning their first world cup title with them gaining the lead and a great finish from their captain Olga Carmona. Carmona scored in the first half and Spain held on to cap the tournament. Carmona’s triumph was revolved with sadness after finding out her father had just passed away. As the final whistle blew,  the Spain players piled on each other in front of their goal. They were still dancing on the field before and after the trophy presentations.

“We’ve suffered a lot throughout the past 12 months but I think everything has a reason to be. This has made us a stronger team,” Carmona said soon after the game. “And it’s really incredible. I don’t know just why Spain is the world champion, but I think that we deserved it.”  Courtesy of ABC News

“Thank you for believing in us,” said a distraught Millie Bright to the fans that have followed them on this journey and watched them fall short at the final hurdle against a team that was simply better. “I hope you have enjoyed the ride. It’s been amazing. It’s hard to see it end like that. It’s been incredible. We’ve had an opportunity and we’ve gained a medal that not many other players have got.”

In the 64th minute Walsh conceded a penalty, her outstretched hand brushing the ball as she competed with Caldentey for it. Earps, though, so hugely important for England in this tournament, went the right way for Jenni Hermoso’s low spot-kick, grasping the ball and keeping England’s dreams alive. Courtesy of ABC News

The save roared the England-heavy 75,784-strong crowd to life and James went close not long after, overlapping on Hemp before forcing Coll to tip over. There was a hopefulness to England’s play, but with Russo off they lacked a focal point to their attack and each drive forward made the risk of being caught on the counter grow painfully.

Spain won all four knock out games by the same score, 1-0. After losing the first game to Switzerland, Spain won six straight games to be crowned the champions of the World Cup. Courtesy of ABC News