New sports app is expected to be advanced and reestablished compared to other sports apps.
Sports Streaming Gets an Upgrade
Carson Birdsall, Staff Writer • March 12, 2024
The new live action Avatar didnt live up to the bar that has been set from the original animated series.
Avatar Didn’t Bring the Power
Kendan Cartwright, Staff Writer • March 8, 2024
Colorado joined 14 other states in holding its Democratic and Republicans Presidential Primary Elections on March 5, 2024. These primaries went well for both President Joe Biden and former President Donald Trump. Biden won the Democratic contest with 83% of the vote while Trump won 63% of the Republican vote. Though both candidates are clearly popular in their respective parties, they are also facing similar challenges from a critical electorate.
Biden, Trump Sweep Colorado Primaries
Brandon Coon, Staff Adviser • March 7, 2024
The Megan vs Nicki drama had fans from both going crazy over their tracks and their back and forth drama kept fans on their toes. N
Battle of the Baddies
Iyonna Moore, Social Media Manager • March 6, 2024
The Supreme Court Building in Washington D.C. where the court ruled 9-0 that a state cannot decide that a candidate for President cannot run due to the Insurrection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment. Less unanimous was the Courts thoughts on who could decide this matter, with four judges filing concurrent opinions disagreeing with the majority that Congress has to pass a law about it. This case originated from a lawsuit filed by four Colorado Republicans and two Independents wanting Donald Trump removed from Colorado ballots because of his actions during the January 6 Government Insurrection.
SCOTUS Dumps Trump Ballot Bump
Brandon Coon, Staff Adviser • March 5, 2024
Ben Nugent brings his knowledge and passion for anthropology and shares it with the kids in his group.
Students Dig Anthropology Club
Philimon Sang, Staff Writer • March 5, 2024

Wrestling Awaits a Spotlight

As the wrestling season draws to a close, it should deserve more noteriety
The+wrestling+team+huddles+together+before+the+matches+start+to+get+exited+and+pumped+up+before+they+hit+the+mats.+Head+Coach+Anthony%E2%80%99s+advice%2C+%E2%80%9CLeave+it+all+out+on+the+mat.+As+long+as+you+give+every+match+110%25+we+will+be+proud+of+each+and+every+one+of+you%21+Step+to+your+opponents+and+show+em+what+Frederick+pride+is+all+about%21%E2%80%9D+
Mason Faulkner
The wrestling team huddles together before the matches start to get exited and pumped up before they hit the mats. Head Coach Anthony’s advice, “Leave it all out on the mat. As long as you give every match 110% we will be proud of each and every one of you! Step to your opponents and show em what Frederick pride is all about!”

While student-athletes spend a lot of time training and practicing plays, sometimes the missing piece requires the right person cheering to tip them over the edge to victory. Frederick High School is known to have one of the best student sections in the district, known as “The Rowdy Crowd.” But some of the athletic programs aren’t getting the attention and support other popular sports programs receive. One of these sports is wrestling. 

Frederick High School’s wrestling team is led by Head Coach Anthony Medina, and their regular season wrapped up after going 1-5. They concluded their last home dual on Senior Night Friday, February 4th of 2022. They’ll have regionals this upcoming weekend February 11-12. 

We spoke with two seniors on the roster about what wrestling means to them. Senior Mikey Espindola states “I enjoyed wrestling because it makes me stronger as a person physically and mentally and I stuck around so long because I loved the challenge every day no matter what and just being around the people I got to meet is the most important thing because I have met people that I am still super close to today.” Senior Sawyer Harnig quotes, “The teammates are what I enjoyed most and simply learning something new. I grew close with so many of my once new teammates.”
(Christopher Tone)

Though the team has plenty of great athletes, Mead conquered the Warriors 59-16 on Senior Night last Friday. Due to the lack of weight classes at FHS lots of the matches during duels and tournaments led to forfeit, hence the tough loss.

However, despite the regular season coming to an end, Coach Anthony is still optimistic. He quotes, “I’m happy with our team I know that once we fill all the weight classes we will have a real shot at hanging with and beating some more established teams. We’re young this year with most of the team being freshmen but despite that, we show great promise. If this class sticks together Frederick will make real waves in the future.”

“Some challenges our team has had to face is the lack of wrestlers near the end of the season when people start to leave. It gets tough to practice but if we all keep going hard we can get through it strong,” senior Alex Carrillo states.

Adriane Vigil on the mat before beating his opponent from Niwot. Adriane Vigil quotes “The reason I stuck around for Wrestling was because of the people that have motivated me like my mom and that continues to motivate me. My biggest motivation is my Auntie Denise because even though she’s not here anymore with us I can still feel her presence cheering me on in the background.” (Mason Faulkner)

The season outcome wasn’t intended, but lots of the team members placed in Saturday tournaments. The team overall had a lot of individual success. “I think TONS of people should be involved with wrestling. It teaches people self-control and you face challenges that you might not face in any other sport. I think our student section should at least show up once to see what wrestling is like and maybe it will get more students to come to watch!” Senior Mikey Espindola quotes.

While speaking with some of the seniors, it made me realize that we need more participation in the wrestling program whether it’s on the mat or in the crowd. “Wrestling isn’t for everyone, that’s for sure. It’s a hard, yet entertaining sport so at the very least every student should be able to come to cheer the wrestling team on.” Senior Sawyer Harnig quotes

Watching some of the duels and tournaments from the crowd can be so much fun, you can feel the crowd’s energy, thrill, and excitement.

Coach Anthony states, “The team has battled injury, sickness, and but above all loss. We wrestled all season with half a lineup, but we pulled together and still beat some teams head to head. We preach the values of sacrifice and positivity.”

Alex Carrillo going for the pin on his opponent during a home duel. Alex explains, “What makes me enjoy wrestling is it’s just me and my opponent, no one can help me and I have to rely on myself to win. What made me love the sport though was making state my sophomore year, then placing 4th at the state tournament my junior year, and making the first team all-conference my junior year, it made me driven to win. I also like the team chemistry we have compared to other teams, it’s very unique.” (Mason Faulkner )

“Despite losing most of our matches purely based off of giving up 6 points per weight class we couldn’t fill, the team pulled together and really stepped up. If anything I feel it brought us closer together.”

Coach Anthony believes this season is building ground for years to come. “A team that can lose together quickly realizes they can win together. Next year we plan on trying to recruit more to fill those weight classes. We plan to put Frederick on the map and build excitement and support within the school.”

Despite a tough season, the team has battled it out, and the future looks brighter than ever. “This is one of the strongest freshmen classes Frederick has had since I began coaching here. It’s only a matter of time before things really take off.”