Jocie makes sure she is working hard on and off the field to see the results that she is very deserving of.
JOCIE SIMMONS: CAPTAIN KNOWS BEST
Kaya Paluda, Editor in Chief • February 25, 2024
A huge and lasting problem about foster care has cam to surface finally. Colorado had hope to help out foster kids.
Colorado is With The Kids
Kaya Paluda, Editor in Chief • February 23, 2024
Lisa Frankenstein is Dumb Fun
Lisa Frankenstein is Dumb Fun
Kendan Cartwright, Staff Writer • February 22, 2024
Traveling can be stressful sometimes. Taking others advice can help you out.
Traveling Essentials
Philimon Sang, Staff Writer • February 19, 2024
Robin Hood and his merry men meet the Sheriff of Nottingham and Maid Marian in Sherwood Forest. Left to right is Ellie Palmer as Maid Marian, Shaun Furr as the sheriff, Michael Allred as Robin Hood, Cooper Dujardin as Little John, Teagan Veile as Alan Adale, Liam Pettit as Friar Tuck, Ella Jackson as Will Scarlet, and Leea Beeker as the stage manager.
Robin Hood Hits Its’ Target
Isabel Howell, Staff Writer • February 17, 2024

Crosstown Showdown

The stakes have never been higher for the Frederick High School football team. Can they finally beat their arch-nemesis?
Mason Faulkner
Parker Ayres eyes the field during Frederick’s most recent game against Mountain View. As one of the Warriors’ best players, he will be relied upon heavily against Mead this Friday

Frederick’s rivalry against Mead has been among the fiercest clashes in the Colorado front range–but just how close have the skirmishes been in recent years? Make no mistake, Frederick athletics is on the uprise. The greatest regular season in program history just concluded for volleyball. Track and field brought home a state title in the 4×4 last summer. Even boys basketball–which suffered a brutal, 1-22 record during the 2017-18 season–has quickly course-corrected into three straight playoff-bid seasons. However, despite all the success, in the biggest game of the year against their most loathed adversary, Mead High School, Frederick can’t seem to shake them off.

What is Frederick’s history against their enemies? It looks like this: 14 straight losses in boys basketball, over the span of an eight-year drought. Boys soccer last beat Mead in 2017. It’s the same story for softball and girls basketball, who both have endured four-year droughts of their own. Volleyball and baseball have gotten back on track, but they seem to be the outliers among Frederick athletics. Most importantly, Frederick’s flagship sport–Football, has never beaten Mead. Never. Seven matchups, seven losses.

Could this be the year Frederick finally takes down Mead? It’s a possibility–the recent matchups are closer than the record books suggest. The Warriors’ closest contest with the Mavericks came in 2019, with the final score being 27-20 in favor of Mead. That might’ve been the Warriors’ best bid to take down the Mavericks; on paper, they were the more talented team–the best in Frederick High history. Led by BoCo preps player of the year, Jake Green, they went 11-2 and reached the state playoff semifinals.

However, the main cast that led the unprecedented playoff run is now gone. Quarterback Bryce Conover–who just recently committed to Western Colorado– has taken over the reins as the starter. He’s had ups and downs since then and has struggled mightily at times. Looking at his passing stats, it’s apparent he hasn’t entirely filled the shoes Green abandoned. But it’s clear he’s a proven leader, and for Frederick’s offensive style, that might be all they need this year to take down the Mavs.

It’s not a guarantee by any means, however. Mead is as good as ever this year. Their record stands at 7-1, with their only loss coming to Roosevelt–the number one team in the Colorado 3A Division. Like Frederick, they have dominated nearly every opponent they face. All schools Mead has encountered–with the exception of Roosevelt and Holy Family–have failed to score more than a touchdown on the Mavs.

No doubt, this will be a tightly contested bloodbath. Both teams are playoff-bound. Mead is ranked third in 3A, Frederick in ninth. Looking at their schedules, both schools have played some of the same teams–Pueblo Centennial, Thompson Valley, and Holy Family. The Warriors and Mavericks both handily took care of business against Pueblo Centennial and Thompson Valley. However, Frederick lost against Holy Family in overtime; Mead barely survived against them, but it’s a win nonetheless.

The stakes for this game will be like no other. It’s a senior night against a loathed adversary. It will very likely be the 9News Prep Game of the Week. The game will be crucial for both teams’ RPI and playoff seeding.

But for Frederick, they are playing for more. The streak must end.