Zendaya brings the heat in new film ‘Challengers’
Match Made in Heaven
Kaya Paluda, Editor in Chief • May 17, 2024
Fallout Is Outstanding
Fallout Is Outstanding
Kendan Cartwright, Staff Writer • May 14, 2024
Vampire bailarina takes action in a new thrilling film.
Abigail Is a Bloody Treat
Kendan Cartwright, Staff Writer • May 13, 2024

‘Might Delete Later’ Shakes Up Rap World

In a bold response to Kendrick Lamar’s diss, J. Cole delivers a bar-fueled masterpiece
Dreamville
‘Might Delete Later’ is J. Cole’s fourth mixtape and his first release of 2024. The album dropped as a surprise release on April 5th and the tracklist is notable for its final track “7 Minute Drill” in Cole’s response to Kendrick Lamar’s diss track, “Like That.”

With the unexpected release of his seventh studio album Might Delete Later, J. Cole sent the hip-hop community into a frenzy. The record is one more proof that J. Cole deserves to be named the next greatest of all time. The mixtape is essentially a poetic exercise that extends his ambitious run into the 2020s and highlights the competitive nature of hip-hop.

The timing of J. Cole’s record release couldn’t have been better. On the most recent Metro Boomin and Future “Like That” diss track, Kendrick Lamar took aim at J. Cole and Drake, sending them tearing apart with his obscure threats. Drake used Instagram posts to address the criticism, but J. Cole took a completely different approach.  

Thus, Might Delete Later features a lot of interesting aspects, including textural, rhythmic, and even intimate themes. J. Cole investigates where his rap is placed in 2024 in the twelve tracks. The upbeat energy of “Pricey,” the first song, transitions into the somber tones of “Crocodile Tearz,” displaying some of Cole’s most straightforward lines. Setting “Ready ’24” against the comical “Huntin’ Wabbitz” heightens the sense of having your heart race. 

A very uncommon thing happens after “H.Y.B.”: the drill’s wobbling is subtly incorporated into a less industrial sound palette. Another great success is “Sticks N Stonez,” which is animated. The first verse is so full of syllables that it stifles the swing that contributes to the beat’s unique quality. The collection also features other excellent tracks including “Fever,” “Pi,” “3001,” and “Trae The Truth in Ibiza.”

Then there’s “7 Minute Drill,” which many fans saw as the album’s starting point since, well, it’s a reaction to a diss track by Kendrick Lamar. Searching over Lamar’s discography, J. Cole asserts that “he caught me at the perfect time,” claiming that “your first s**t was classic / your last s**t was tragic.” This is how he claimed his prime. The album touches on a number of topics, including self-worth and telling skill from hype. It also feels more ingrained than Kendrick Lamar’s own lyrics on the hit-or-miss Metro Boomin and Future track.  

The album’s general sound is a bar-fest, jammed with absurd flows, double entendre, and syllable rhymes. Not to mention, the mixtape boasts a ton of amazing features, including a mix of established and up-and-coming musicians that each add their own distinct bars, sounds, and musical flows to the mix.  

Full List of Featured Artists:

• Ari Lennox
  • Young Dro
  • Gucci Mane
  • Cam’ron
  • Daylyt
  • Ab-Soul
  • Bas
  • Central Cee

Might Delete Later is lyrical, soulful, and aggressive all around as Cole pulls away from his rivals. He states several times on the record that there is no denying that he has hit his peak. Might Delete Later Cole is the greatest Cole yet, but whoever comes out on top of the hip-hop heat will be the talk of the internet for years to come.