I Hate the Way I Don’t Hate You

A 25 year celebration of “10 Things I Hate About You”
Touchstone Pictures
On March 31st theaters will celebrate the 25th anniversary release of “10 Things I Hate About You.” This 1999 rom com is a classic, so book your tickets now before it’s too late, this is an experience you wouldn’t want to miss.

Despite the fact that many of the 1990s teen romance comedies are no longer remembered, 10 Things I Hate About You is still quite popular. This iconic slice of late-1990s life is made possible by a brilliant rewrite of Shakespeare, a real heartfelt connection, and an incredible ensemble. After becoming a comfort classic over the years, this movie will celebrate its 25 years of release on March 31st by being streamed globally in theaters. 

If you haven’t seen it, Gil Junger’s teen romance comedy 10 Things I Hate About You tells the tale of two sisters, Kat and Bianca, who have quite different personalities and dating philosophies. Bianca is a nice and popular girl who wants to date Joey, the most attractive boy in school, whereas Kat is an outspoken and rebellious girl who avoids the popular crowd. Joey hires Patrick, a fascinating and endearing boy, to court Kat because their stern father insists that Bianca can only date if Kat does. 

But why does everyone still find the movie so beloved and popular? To begin with, The Taming of the Shrew by William Shakespeare serves as the inspiration for this movie. The picture features a strong female lead who doesn’t hesitate to speak up. It also features a fantastic cast, a lighthearted screenplay, and a somber soundtrack. Anyone who has ever had a secret crush on someone will relate to Kat (Julia Stiles) and Patrick (Heath Ledger)’s banter, plus the actors’ on-screen chemistry is to die for. One of the most memorable scenes in the movie is Patrick and his microphone. He pays the band to play Frankie Valli’s “Can’t Take My Eyes Off You” so he can serenade Kat during soccer practice in an effort to win her over.

The poem Kat read about Patrick in front of their English class, nevertheless, was the movie’s strongest scene; without it, the title would have been meaningless.  The assignment was to write a sonnet which connects the Shakespeare. She breaks down, recognizing that she hates “the way I don’t hate you, not even close, not even a little bit, not even at all,” as she rattles off ten reasons why she hates Patrick, who isn’t named.  Its happiness, humor, and sly one-liners solidify its distinction as a classic.

The movie streamed on Valentine’s Day in honor of its 25th anniversary. It will soon start streaming globally in cinemas once again for its celebration of release on March 31st. On April 5 and 6, the movie will be available for streaming exclusively in one Colorado location, the Landmark Esquire location in Denver. On the day of the anniversary, if you are unable to see the movie in theaters, you can view it on Disney +, Hulu, Amazon Video, Vudu, Youtube, or Apple TV.

The finished work still seems fresh even after 25 years. At its core, 10 Things I Hate About You is a feel-good film that elevates the teenage rom-com genre of the time. When you see it for the millionth time, you can’t help but smile.