‘Bob Marley: One Love’ is One to Love

The long-anticipated biopic about Bob Marley reveals the true message behind all his music
Paramount Pictures
Bob Marley (Kingsley Ben-Adir) singing a song filled with message on stage after his popular album release “Exodus.” The film “Bob Marley: One Love” is currently ranked #1 in America since its release on Feb. 14 as it reveals the true message behind his legendary music.

The reggae hero Bob Marley is revealed as the man behind the music, the father behind the legend, and the soul behind the movement in the biography Bob Marley: One Love. With its current status as #1 in America, the narrative upholds Bob Marley’s enduring message of love, harmony, and salvation. Recognizing this movie as a worthy tribute to a genuine legend is undoubtedly deserved.   

Based on the life of Jamaican reggae singer-songwriter Bob Marley, from his rise to fame in the mid-1970s to his passing in 1981. The film tells the real life of this great Rasta and highlights the hardships that Bob faced in Jamaica as he overcame adversity to become the world’s most well-known reggae artist.

The spirit of Marley is kept fairly true throughout the movie. Several components of the movie were excellent, including the performances, the scenery, the music, and every element that flowed well together. One Love offers a lighthearted and incredibly pleasurable movie experience. Although some critics seem to have wanted a more spectacular homage to Marley, this biography was very excellent. Critics may forget that Marley was extraordinarily humble and may have preferred a simple tribute that spreads peace and love rather than it just being all about him, similarly to what was said in the film.

Just by viewing the movie, you’ll feel as though Kingsley Ben-Adir is Bob Marley — especially in the concert sequences where he becomes one with the music. Both Rita Marley, played by Lashana Lynch, and The Wailers, played by the other actors, are outstanding performers. The actors did a great job portraying the culture, and there were several intriguing lines, although it could take a few viewings to fully grasp the thick Jamaican accent. 

The film’s visuals brilliantly depict the color of Jamaica and pour the island’s personality into each shot. Bob Marley’s musical journey is complemented by the artistic beauty, which ranges from dreamy concert sceneries to breathtaking vistas. The music is brought to life, the sounds are emphasized, and the rhythm and meaningful phrases are introduced with the help of the illustrations.  

Naturally, music will feature in the movie as it delves more into Bob Marley’s life. Unsurprisingly, the soundtrack is the main attraction given that it narrates Marley’s story. Music persisted throughout the movie and kept Marley’s spirits up. Not to mention, the movie features several of his most well-known songs, which complemented the film’s appeal in the end.

Bob Marley: One Love is an amazing film as it captures many unknown aspects of Bob Marley. It serves as a fun reminder of the lasting impact that Bob Marley’s amazing music has had. The message conveyed by Marley through his music is portrayed in this film, leaving viewers feeling inspired and optimistic. Anyone who likes biographical films about influential and revolutionary figures, especially those who enjoy Marley music, should definitely check out this film.