A Historical Takedown

Frederick Wrestling is heading into their final weeks of the season with full steam ahead.
Frederick+High+School+Wrestling+team+placed+2nd+overall+and+had+multiple+athletes+place+in+their+weight+class+at+the+Golden+Eagle+Invitational+hosted+by+Frederick%2C+and+to+celebrate+they+took+a+fun+photo+together+after+the+long+hard-working+day+as+a+team.+
Courtesy of Anthony Medina
Frederick High School Wrestling team placed 2nd overall and had multiple athletes place in their weight class at the Golden Eagle Invitational hosted by Frederick, and to celebrate they took a fun photo together after the long hard-working day as a team.

This season, Frederick Wrestling is not coming to play; instead, they have trained and battled to overcome anything and everyone who stands in their way. Frederick has previously experienced setbacks due to a shortage of wrestlers, illnesses, and injuries. However, the team as a whole adopted a new strategy this year, and they are prepared to go above and beyond to win. The squad has set themselves up for success this season, and they have no intention of stopping as the finish of the season draws near.

Frederick Wrestling conducted its yearly Golden Eagle Invitational tournament on January 13. They turned in an outstanding performance, and they are eager to continue their winning ways for the remainder of the season and in regionals. Anthony Medina, head coach, says he’s pleased with how the tournament went. “I’m very happy with how things turned out with our tournament. For the first time since I’ve been on staff we took 2nd overall with 13 teams in attendance. With tough teams like Cheyenne joining us we knew we had to come ready but all of our athletes showed up and shined.” 

Coach Medina continues, “For the first time we had 2 champions in 165 junior Diego Rangel and 175 senior Tatum Sanders. We had several placers as well. Diego brought home the most outstanding wrestler awarded which was huge for the team. Someday we will win this at home and it will be an amazing day when we do it. This shows the growth in our program. People are definitely starting to notice that Frederick is here to wrestle.” 

Freshman Logan Vickers standing fierce after beating his opponent in his weight class of 106 at the Golden Eagle Invitational hosted at Frederick High. Logan managed to wrestle his opponents strongly throughout the day and he placed fourth overall in his bracket. (Courtesy of Anthony Medina)

The wrestling team is not only making a name for itself as a unit but also developing rapidly on an individual basis. They defeated their rivals, and five of the team’s top athletes managed to place on the podium at the Golden Eagle Invitational: freshman Logan Vickers placed fourth at 106; junior Andres Hernandez placed third at 126; junior Rico Moreno placed third at 144; junior Diego Rangel placed first at 165; and senior Tatum Sanders placed first at 175. These powerful athletes competed and gave it their all to secure their spots in the top five. Several other members of the team also made an impression, and in addition to becoming well-known, they are also improving the wrestling team. 

The team is approaching the finish of their season as they crossed the halfway point of the season. When looking back on their season so far, Frederick’s squad has developed and seized command. This is the strongest and finest season the team has seen, and they have no intention of stopping anytime soon, since regionals will be here in the blink of an eye. The squad is becoming well-known after their impressive duals and tournament performances. “The team has grown immensely. Our mat awareness, our chain wrestling. Lastly, our leadership is really on point this year. It’s looking like we should peak right at the right time,” Coach Medina said. 

This season will undoubtedly be remembered, as the wrestling environment has grown and the team has developed and improved with time. These moments will be recorded in Frederick wrestling history and will never be forgotten. Coach Medina reflects on the first half of the season by saying, “I’m happy with the season so far. We are on track for a record season. Record numbers. Record wins. And overall, the best season we have had to date with my tenure at Frederick.”

The team is constantly searching for methods to improve and function as a cohesive one, before they enter their last stretch of the season. Before the postseason arrives, they want to sharpen their abilities and achieve additional objectives with a winning mentality. Coach Medina adds, “There’s always room for growth in this sport. I’m just looking to fine tune the skills that our athletes are successful with. We have to be sharp if we’re going to accomplish our goal of sending more athletes to state then ever before. I’m harping on our attention to detail, and focusing on championship mindset. Wrestling is mostly mental and when you believe things happen. Hard work pays off.”

Frederick wrestling has built a reputation for themselves, and as the season draws to a close in a few weeks’ time, they will be prepared for any opponents that come their way next. Coach Medina states, “Spectators should expect Frederick to come ready. We are primed for a breakout season. We still hope to send at least 6 guys to state, and I think this is definitely possible. We are gunning for every opponent we wrestle this year and still have some tough matches ahead of us with Northglenn and Thompson Valley ahead of us. We have some sharpening to do. But we will be ready, we are hungry to be better. The work ethic, the mindset, and the leadership are all on point this year. It’s taken 9 years to get this far. It’s apparent in how we have done so far that we are focused on our goal.” The team is set to make history and will not let anyone stand in their path as they advance. They have everything mapped ahead and they will not stop at any cost to make it happen.