Frederick Falls To Mead In League Championship

It was a hard-fought battle against Frederick’s biggest rival, but late game comeback fell short
ToneImages
Harry Singh hoists up a shot during the second half against the Mead Mavericks. Singh had 6 points on the night.

A win last Saturday against the Mead Mavericks would’ve secured a league championship for the Frederick Warriors. Instead, they were outsized, out-shout, and in the end, outlasted by the defending state champs, falling by single digits in a disappointing, 62-53 loss.

It was Frederick’s first loss in over a month, after an incredible undefeated campaign in league play. It’s the Warriors’ 15th consecutive loss to their crosstown rivals.

Beating Mead would’ve been no easy task–the Mavs boast legitimate Division 1 prospects on their squad; namely, Seniors Elijah Knudsen and James Shiers. Within moments into the game, Shiers quickly asserted dominance–he possesses uncanny height, standing 7’1”, towering over the Frederick defenders. Knudsen, while much smaller(listed at 5’9”) than his co-star, can shoot the lights out of the gym. He maintains a stroke so smooth and quick that it looks effortless, to the point where virtually every open look he gets from three-point range is an inevitable swish.

Frederick learned that the hard way in a crushing first quarter, where they collapsed under an entourage of three-pointers and defensive authority from the Mavericks. The Mavs ran a ridiculously efficient offense, scoring on nearly every one of their possessions in the first period. Knudsen tore the Frederick defense to shreds, knocking down four threes within the span of a few short minutes. Meanwhile, the Warriors’ offensive attack was nowhere close to that of their adversaries. Mead’s James Shiers, tall enough to make his teammates resemble middle schoolers, nabbed several easy blocks in the opening minutes. If Frederick got lucky, and one of their offensive possessions didn’t end in a foul, blocked shot, or turnover, then it usually ended in a contested shot and miss. Frederick only managed to muster up 11 points in the opening period, to the tune of Mead’s absurd 32.

However, in the following three quarters, the tide quickly changed. Frederick’s senior anchors, Bryce Conover and Alex Sturn, breathed life into the Warrior scoring attack. Conover got hot shooting, managing to nail 3 of 6 three-pointers. He ended with 16 points, which led all scorers from both teams. Alex Sturn chipped in 11 points of his own and snagged 6 rebounds.

The Warriors’ deficit steadily lessened over the course of the game. Frederick clawed their way back, even managing to shut down Elijah Knudsen, who failed to hit a three-pointer in the final three quarters. Jacoby Conway, despite offensive struggles, led the defensive charge.

Heading into the 4th quarter, with only three minutes to go, Frederick managed to bring the deficit to only 10 points. Riding momentum and a furious comeback, it appeared the Warriors would make a late push for a chance to tie the game or take the lead.

However, James Shiers put the final dagger into the Warriors’ hearts. All night long, Frederick Faithful relentlessly chastised him, chanting “useless height” repeatedly. After being lambasted by the rowdy crowd for most of the game, Shiers snapped, slamming home a thunderous dunk that quickly quieted the chants. From that point on, the Warriors couldn’t seem to regain their momentum. Despite outscoring the Mavs 42-30 in the final three quarters, Frederick couldn’t climb out of the hole they dug themselves in the first quarter. The final score read 62-53.

The Warriors will bounce back on Saturday night, as they host the second round of the state playoffs. Their first matchup will be against the Severance Silver Knights, who own a 12-12 record. Frederick’s last took on Severance nearly a month ago, when they handily took care of business, winning 81-64. Frederick will be favored to win.