BREAKING: Coach Peeples is Resigning

Frederick’s head coach of five years is moving on from FHS
Steve Oathout
Coach Peeple’s instructs his team during an intense game. Peeple’s, who took Frederick football from rock bottom to prosperity, wiill be resigning as head coach.

Head coach Travis Peeples will no longer coach football at Frederick High School. Peeples, who has built the FHS program from the ground up over the last five years, has accepted the opportunity to coach at Wellington High School, in his hometown of Wellington, Colorado.

Peeples explains that working close to home was a major factor in his resignation. “I drive 45 minutes from my hometown of Wellington to get here every day. A new school just recently popped up over there. I drove by it and just thought ‘man it’d be nice to work one mile from my house.’ That’s what led me to have an interest. I wish I could stay here forever, but at my age and 25 years of teaching, it just made sense for me not to be on the road for two hours every day.”

Peeples certainly left his mark while coaching at Frederick. When he took over the program in 2017, the team was coming off a 1-9 losing season. He quickly course-corrected the program, achieving four winning seasons and three playoff bids in his tenure. In his final season at Frederick, the team beat Mead High School for the first time in school history and made a playoff run to the state semifinals.

Peeples describes his resignation as “the hardest decision of my life. I love it here. Five years, and we probably developed the best football program in the state. I’ve built relationships with not only my players but adults and students in this school and this community.”

As for the future of the program, coach Peeples says that the athletic department will “do a coaching search. They’ll find someone that’s very qualified. FHS is a very popular place to be because we’ve won so much. I would suspect they’ll find someone in the next 30-60 days.”

Peeple’s presence will certainly be missed. He expresses his gratitude for the last five seasons. He’s thankful for “the relationships with all the kids, coaches, and parents. They make me love coming to work every day.”