SVVSD Innovation Lab to Visit Frederick High

The crown jewel of the St. Vrain Valley School District STEM program will visit FHS this upcoming Thursday, May 5th.

Owen Willis

The St. Vrain Valley Schools Future-Ready Innovation Lab. The Innovation Lab will be visiting Frederick High on Thursday, May 5, 2022 from 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm for the Design Guild event.

Owen Willis, Social Media Manager

The St. Vrain Valley Schools Future-Ready Innovation Lab has been busy with visits to many high schools in the District for the spring Design Guild fair. As part of its tour, the Innovation Lab will be visiting Frederick High on Thursday, May 5, 2022, from 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm, and it is definitely an event that you don’t want to miss.

The idea of a Design Guild started last year in the midst of the Coronavirus pandemic and served primarily as a way to bring the community together in a safe way to learn about STEM and Design Thinking when the school community was only able to connect using online formats.

“Our student Design Guild is a program that we started last year that really focused on bringing Design Thinking to elementary schools and, what we saw from that after visiting 22 elementary schools and seeing over 5,000 people with our Innovation Lab, [is] that there is this community element that was really impactful and just really fun, and a cool place to bring school members, students, teachers, principals, parents, all together,” shared Colin Rickman, the Innovation Lab Coordinator for St. Vrain Valley Schools.

With the event being feeder-wide, students, staff, and community members from all schools in the Frederick Feeder are invited to join. 

“[This year, we took the idea of the student Design Guild] and we wanted it to be a feeder-wide event, and really build on that idea of a community festival of learning,” Colin shares. “Elementary and middle schools have been working on the Design Challenge around health, both emotional and physical, and they are creating prototypes around that challenge, and they will be bringing that over to Frederick High School to share what they have learned.”

In addition to the Design Thinking projects, the Innovation Lab will be running STEM/Design Thinking related stations and activities for attendees to engage in. Examples of this include Ozobots, Art Animation, Spheros, and much more*.

“Then, [when it comes time for the event,] we get to show up with the Innovation Lab as just that festival of learning to show off what we know and what we have done, and [help to bring] people together, and I think it [will be] a really fun time,” Colin shared. “There will be food trucks, tours through the building [and attendees] will be able to check out the new wing [that was built for the PTECH Program] and STEM stations for all ages for people to enjoy,” he adds.

The Scout highly recommends attending this event and checking out everything that it has to offer. The event will take place from 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm on Thursday, May 5, 2022, at Frederick High, and is definitely one that you don’t want to miss.

Owen Willis works as a Student Designer in St. Vrain Valley Schools and works part-time on the Innovation Lab and at the Innovation Center.

* – While these are examples of what could be on display on Thursday, we are unable to guarantee that each one will be included.