Homecoming Coming Home

After missing Homecoming last year due to the Coronavirus, Homecoming is back this year and it is better than ever.

Owen Willis

The Homecoming Week event display on the windows in the main hallway at Frederick High. Making up for missing Homecoming last year, this year’s celebration will be better than ever before. “I am looking forward to everything because [all of the Homecoming Week events are] back, like the parade, pep rally and the tailgate, dress-up days [and] the dance,” says Joelle Richard, a junior at Frederick High and a member of Student Council. “It is feeling like a normal year again, and I am glad that people are able to experience [Homecoming Week], especially since both the Freshman and Sophomore [classes will be participating in Homecoming for the] first time, so it is really exciting for them getting to [take part in] it,” she adds.

Owen Willis, Social Media Manager

Homecoming Week is September 27 through October 2 at Frederick High, and it is going to be stronger than ever before. From spirit days to sports games and everything in between, Frederick’s Student Council has been working hard planning events to make sure that this year’s Homecoming Week is the best one yet. 

Homecoming Week starts on Monday, September 27 with Country Day, a Sidewalk chalk competition, JV and Varsity Tennis games, and a unified bowling game.

• Country Day is where students and staff at Frederick can dress up wearing their best cowboy boots, favorite cowboy hat, and most stylish plaid shirt.
  • Students will have an opportunity to take part in a sidewalk chalk competition in their class’s designated area outside of the school between 7 am and 4 pm, either before school, after school, or during an off block. Students must bring their own chalk, and they are able to draw anything they want that relates to the Homecoming theme, which is “We’ve Got The Beat,” (and is school-appropriate, of course) within their designated area. Judging will take place after the competition by a panel of teachers, and whichever class wins the competition will receive Freddy Cup Points. 

“Freddy Cup is going to be a trophy that represents the class that shows the most school spirit throughout Homecoming Week. Points can be earned from dress-up days, competitions, and a lot of [other activities] going into it,” says Quinn McNeill, a senior at Frederick High and a member of the Student Council. “[The Freddy Cup] will be awarded to the winning class during halftime at the Homecoming football game,” he adds.

Homecoming Week continues on Tuesday, September 28 with Hawaiian Day and home JV and Varsity Softball games. Everyone is encouraged to wear their favorite flip flops, sun hats, leis, and other Hawaiian gear to show their spirit during the day, and then head over to the softball games after school to show their support.

Disco Day and the Co-Ed Volleyball Tournament are on the agenda for Wednesday, September 29.

• During the school day, everyone is invited to wear their best disco gear, which could include flare pants, jeans, aviator sunglasses, button-down shirts, and glamorous dresses.
  • Starting at 5:30 pm, registered teams from each grade level, as well as staff teams, will be competing in the Co-Ed Volleyball Tournament near the basketball courts, and the winning team will be awarded 100 Freddy Cup Points.

The theme on Thursday is True Colors, and everyone will be encouraged to wear the color that is associated with their class. The class color for freshmen is brown, sophomores are green, juniors are blue, and seniors are white. There will also be some opportunities for earning Freddy Cup Points at the JV and Varsity Softball games, as well as the C-Team, D-Team, JV, and Varsity Volleyball games that are taking place after school. 

We end the week strong on Friday with School Spirit Day, which includes a pep rally, homecoming parade, and Home Football game. Everyone should wear blue and gold, and other Frederick gear to show off their school spirit.

• There will be a pep assembly that will take place on the football field at the end the school day. “The Pep Rally is going to be just like we have [done in previous years]. We are doing it out on the football field, and we are going to have a class dance-off, class relay race, as well as cheer and dance performances,” says Quinn McNeill.
  • After school, there will be a Homecoming Parade starting at 5:00 pm. Each class is building a float with the help of staff advisers assigned to each class, and the float will be part of the Homecoming Parade that will start at Thunder Valley K-8 and end at Frederick High School around 5:30 pm.
  • Right after the parade, the Frederick’s Booster Club will be hosting a tailgate party. The party will happen from around 5:30 pm to 7 pm and it is open to the public.
  • The final event on Friday will be the Homecoming Football game starting at 7:00 pm. Frederick’s Varsity Football team will be playing against Eagle Valley.

Last, but certainly not least, is the Homecoming Dance that will take place on Saturday, October 2 near the front entrance from 8:00 pm to 10:30 pm.

• The theme for this year’s dance is “We Got The Beat,” and it is a culmination of all different genres of music including Country, 80s, Pop, and more.
  • The dance will take place outside to allow for as much air circulation as possible to prevent the spread of the Coronavirus. Also, with the dance being outside, no one is required to wear a mask. “We wanted the dance outside to eliminate masks, and when people are dancing, they are going to be less than six feet from each other,” says Yennifer Solorzano, a senior at Frederick High School and a member of the Student Council.
  • This year, tickets to the dance will be available for purchase online for $25 until September 29, and you may purchase the tickets by visiting this link. If you aren’t able to purchase your tickets before the deadline, don’t worry. You are still able to purchase tickets at the door, but the price doubles to $50/person.
  • If you plan to bring someone who doesn’t attend Frederick High, you must have a guest pass for that person, which you are able to pick up in the office, and everyone attending the dance must be in high school.

The Frederick High School Student Council has been hard at work to ensure that everyone has a great Homecoming Week, and there is definitely something for everyone to enjoy.