One-on-One: Sabrina Monroe

Liz Kulesus, Staff Writer

Liz Kulesus

With the school year nearing the end, seniors have been planning out their futures, while also going through several emotional changes. Senior Sabrina Monroe gives insight on her personal arrangements following graduation, and expresses how this emotionally challenging journey has affected her.

FREDERICK SCOUT: What is one of your favorite high school experiences?

SABRINA MONROE: ​I’ve had several, but I think when I’m happiest, and the best place that I’ve had my high school experiences is definitely in the fine arts hall because I live down there… I remember doing jewelry class and having a lot of fun, and doing multiple 3D art classes, and obviously choir. It’s like a family, it’s the best!

SCOUT: Choir seems to be one of your favorite extracurriculars… what inspired you to join this class?

SM: I used to be a rebel, and I didn’t want to do choir… eventually I got forced into it at Coal Ridge and I ended up doing it all through 6th grade for mixed choir. In seventh grade, I moved to women’s choir since it was brand new at the school and since then, I ended up loving. All my middle school choir experiences made me want to have the same exact experiences in high school, so I tried out for choir in high school.

SCOUT: Do you plan on pursuing choir after high school?

SM: Yes, so I plan on joining the Metropolitan State University’s women’s choir… you don’t have to be a Music Major to join it either, and I really just wanted to join choir. It’s technically an extracurricular, making it easier to join.

SCOUT: If you were to give one piece of advice to underclassmen, what would that be?

SM: Don’t let little things get to you. In all honesty, you’re getting out of there, and it’s only four years of your life. As soon as you’re out of the small town that you’ve been stuck in for your entire life, you’ll realize it’s a big world out there, and you’re going to meet a lot of new people that will like you and not hate you because of that thing that you did in second grade.

SCOUT: How excited are you to graduate high school finally?

SM: Once I think about it, I haven’t really thought a lot about it, but I think I’m ready. I’m not really a crier, so I don’t think that I’ll be depressed, since it’s not a sad moment; I’m not leaving people behind, I’m turning to a new chapter in my life.

SCOUT: What do you plan on doing after high school other than choir?

SM: I plan on going to Metropolitan State University, and I’m planning on finding a job…I’ve also been thinking about traveling a little bit after I get my four-year degree. My plan is to hopefully go to China to study.

SCOUT: Have you already chosen what your major will be?

SM: I have no idea yet… as of right now, I’m a Psychology major enrolled at Metro, but I don’t know if I want to stick with that. I’m also thinking about becoming a linguist because I might be good at that.

SCOUT: Out of your four years of high school, which one has been your favorite?

SM: My favorite? Definitely senior year… and it’s not just because I barely had any classes, it’s because I feel that, throughout choir, everyone has actually bonded. Our last concert was amazing, and I almost started crying since we were so good. I feel like I’ve made several friends this year, so it’s going to be a memorable senior year.

SCOUT: How do you feel about how your high school experience has been?

SM: I feel like overall it’s been pretty good! I’ve had some low points like everyone else… especially the end of sophomore year to the beginning of junior year. But since then, everything’s just been going up.