Writers Strike Comes to End

After five months, Hollywood writers a back to work with a history-making contract
Hollywood+Strike+finally+comes+to+an+agreement+after+5+months+of+strike.+Writers+will+be+able+to+continue+writing+although+it+may+take+a+little+while+to+get+going+once+again.+
Brandon Coon
Hollywood Strike finally comes to an agreement after 5 months of strike. Writers will be able to continue writing although it may take a little while to get going once again.

The Writers Strike has come to an end with major film and TV studios coming to a tentative agreement on Sunday, September 24, and then voting to approve that contract on September 30. While SAG-AFTRA is still on the picket lines, the WGA has returned to work.

Late-night TV shows and other talk shows could return to air in a matter of days, even before the writers vote to finalize this deal. In the best-case scenario, Hollywood can resume production around Thanksgiving time. The WGA told union members, “This deal is exceptional – with meaningful gains and protections for writers in every sector of the membership.” 

The negotiating committee will vote to recommend this agreement and send it to the WGA. Scripted shows will take a little while longer to return to screens, while actors are still on strike. Board members from the union have approved the contract agreement with the studios, declaring the movie industry back and putting a stop to this five-month strike. 

Writers still need to vote to ratify the contract in early October, but lifting this strike will allow writers to work during this process. The Writers Guild of America has voted to end this strike, members have until Oct. 9th to vote on this contract. This contract will last until May 2026 and includes a 5% minimum pay increase upon the ratification of this contract. Another 4% pay increase will happen on May 2, 2024, and another 3.5% increase on May 5, 2025. This deal states AI cannot write or rewrite material which writers and actors were worried about back when this whole dilemma started. 

In a matter of time, new films will be returning to your screens and this will all be over and resolved after 5 months. screens large and small, but for now, all focus is on the continuing actor’s strike.