MAKAYLA MILLER: An Incredible Drive

This senior golfer finds success by expecting to suceed
Makayla+Miller+has+always+had+a+drive+for+success.+Throughout+her+years+here+at+FHS+she+has+always+made+sure+to+stay+focused+and+keep+her+eyes+on+the+prize.+
Courtesy of Makayla Miller
Makayla Miller has always had a drive for success. Throughout her years here at FHS she has always made sure to stay focused and keep her eyes on the prize.

After making the hard decision to quit a sport she’s played for so long, senior Makayla Miller will continue her sports journey, focusing mainly on her golf, hopeful that she will be able to take that further after graduating. Makayla lives with her parents and her brother, and she loves her two dogs. She enjoys playing golf with her family and friends and spending time with friends. Makayla is a well-known senior here at FHS and is loved for being such a good friend and mentor.

Having a plan is something that Makayla has always made sure she had, especially after high school. “I will attend Aims Community College for 1 semester to finish my associate’s degree, then I hope to attend a university and study biomedical sciences.”

Makayla has been in the P-TECH program since her freshman year. “It has pushed me in ways I never would have been pushed, which I am thankful for as my work ethic is really good and I am taking classes I would never have taken. It is definitely challenging, but when I get my associate’s degree and it’s all paid for, it will all be worth it.”

Makayla has been a student-athlete all her life. After playing basketball for many years since she was young, this year he decided that she would just be focusing on golf. “I am thinking about playing golf in college, and I want to put my effort into golf this year. Also, basketball is so hard on my body, and I want to make sure I stay healthy for the golf season.”

The student athlete life isn’t something easy for everyone, but Makayla makes it look like its a piece of cake. (Courtesy of Makayla Miller )

Having to make this hard decision was hard for Makayla, but it was something she felt the need to do to focus on what she truly wanted to do with her future. She has been golfing since she was five years old, starting her freshman year, she started playing competitively, which grew her ambition to keep playing after high school.

“What keeps me motivated are my coaches. They are always getting on me to keep my grades up and make sure I put school first. Of course, I put school first, but I also want to keep playing my sport, so I make sure I always have my grades up so I can stay eligible.”

Not only coaches, but Makayla also mentioned that her mom and dad are very important in keeping her on her toes during the season. She said they make sure she’s always doing and giving her best and staying on top of her work while still focusing on her sports.

Playing a sport in high school is such a universal and unmatched feeling. Makayla says what she likes most about playing in high school is “the community and connections that you build. I have made so many friends through basketball and golf and have kept those connections all four years. I love the energy when I’m with my team, and the support that I have is really special.”

After managing for both boys gold and girls basketball Makayla will take it on her own season for the girls golf team. (Makayla Miller )

Being involved is also very important to Makayla. She plays for the girls golf team at FHS, manages the boys golf team, and will manage the girls basketball team this season. Makayla is also on the Student Council and NHS. It is also important to Makayla to have a good social life and make sure she makes good time for friends and family. Finding the balance between school, sports, and social life is hard, but she always finds a way.

“I have high expectations for myself after high school, and I want to be able to get into a good college. I set goals for myself, and this has really helped me stay consistent and has really pushed me to be better and try different things.”

View Comments (2)