On to The Next

Girls basketball advances after big win in playoffs
The+girls+basketball+team+has+given+their+everything+to+get+to+where+they+are+and+wont+give+up+their+chance+to+advance+to+the+final+four.+
Tone images
The girls basketball team has given their everything to get to where they are and wont give up their chance to advance to the final four.

The Fredrick Golden Eagles girls basketball team is off to the coliseum. The girls won their second round of playoffs on February 23 when they faced off against Vista Peak Prep. Going into the game, Fredrick’s record was 19-6, and Vista Peak Prep was 18-7. It was a pretty evenly matched game.

GEBN broadcaster Carly Evens said, “Think about it; your season record is now 0-0. It’s the playoffs, don’t think about previous mistakes, learn from them and show it out there tonight”. 

Fredericks Golden Eagles girls basketball getting ready for their sweet 16 matchup (Tone Images)

Coach Jake Hansen said on the GEBN network prior to the game last Friday, “The girls have to stay aggressive, but more importantly, enjoy the moment. This is a Sweet 16 game.” Their goal was obviously to win the game and also to enjoy it, because for those seniors, it could have been their last. 

#24 Junior Rylee Gallegos PG (Tone Images)

The Eagles started the game off super hot, scoring 22 points in the first quarter and only letting Vista Peak Prep get 6 on them. The second quarter would be a lot tighter, with Fredrick only getting 12 points and Vista Peak getting 9. At halftime, the score was 34-15, with Fredrick on top. The game was off to a great start for the Fredrick Golden Eagles, and they would have to keep it up for the rest of the game. Coach Hansen said at intermission, “We knew they were a tough team to defend, their really quick athletic. We’ve been working on this week just trying to keep them in front of us and limit them to tough shots.” To maintain this huge lead at half, Coach Hansen planned to do “the exact same thing we just did.” He said that with a huge grin on his face, revealing that he was very happy with the way they were playing.

The Eagles would come out in the third and do exactly what they needed to do, holding Vista Peak to only getting 7, and they would pick up 10. The third was probably closer than they would like, but they still won the quarter. The 4th was vista picked up there game, but Frederick would do a very good job of holding on to only get 10 points, and Frederick would pick up 6. Giving Frederick their second playoff game win of the 2024 season. The final score was 51-32, Frederick.

Fredrick #13 Senior Peyton Pack (Tone Images)

Peyton Pack (#13) was named Max Prep’s Player of the Game. Peyton picked up 14 points in the game and played a crucial part of it.

“The Golden Eagles (19-6) will now prepare for their outing against Air Academy Kadets, who have a 24-1 record. In their last outing, Air Academy defeated Palmer Ridge 47-29.