One on One: Ms. Ferguson

An inside look on our new drama teacher

Vanessa Richards, Staff Writer

Susan Rose

Frederick High School has several new teachers walking the halls this year. Emily Ferguson has taken on the role of director for the theatre department, and heads it with a passion for performance and fresh enthusiasm. Ms. Ferguson graduated from University of Northern Colorado and is currently directing Disney’s Newsies.

How did you get interested in theatre?

“For me, theatre is a family pastime. I first started watching shows because my grandmother was a voice teacher and taught me how to sing when I was 10 years old. My mom and my grandma had a community theatre that they did together, my brother was in high school theatre, and I danced for nine years before I started with theatre.”

What has been your favorite role to play?

“My favorite part I’ve ever done was the mayor in All Shook Up. It’s a really fun, goody show. I got to be a grouchy old lady and run around and yell at people.”

What inspired you to be a teacher?

“Again, this probably goes back to my grandma. She taught voice lessons for 20 years and once told me, ‘I think you’d make a really good drama teacher.’ At the time, I thought, ‘whatever, grandma,’ but here I am today! I was really heavily influenced by her, and it felt right once I studied it in college.”

What advice would you give to your high school self?

“Just to slow down a bit and enjoy being that young while you can. There is a lot of responsibility that comes with being a teenager, but it’s also the last time you don’t have to worry about being an adult.”

Who inspires you?

“My grandma, again. She was a huge driving force in me taking this path and becoming the person I am today.”

If you could be any animal, what would you be?

“I was obsessed with wolves when I was a 10 year old girl, so I’d probably be a wolf.”

What childish things do you still enjoy?

“Does musical theatre count? Playing pretend and dressing up is kind of my job!”

Who would be the best celebrity to have dinner with?

“I would want to have dinner with a Lady Gaga. She’s crazy talented and I’d love to pick her brain for a bit!”

What has been your proudest accomplishment?

“I’m not good at bragging at myself, so this is hard! I’d say directing my first show in college. It really helped me realize that I knew what I was doing, and was definitely a proud moment for me.”