How Frederick Is Promoting Black History Month

Lena Siscoe

Books In Frederick’s Library On Black History

Lena Siscoe, Staff Writer

February is Black History Month. Black History Month is an annual celebration of accomplishments by African Americans and a time for recognizing their central role in U.S. history. Here are some ways that Frederick high school is promoting black history this month.

During February, Frederick’s morning announcements are starting with a prominent African-American important to U.S. history and some of their great achievements. A quote from the morning announcements, “Frederick Douglass was an escaped slave who became a prominent activist, author, and public speaker. He became a leader in the abolitionist movement, which sought to end the practice of slavery, before and during the Civil War. After that conflict and the Emancipation Proclamation of 1862, he continued to push for equality and human rights until his death in 1895.” History is still being made today and Frederick’s equality club is still in the movement of talking with students and staff about equity, inclusivity and making a difference in our school, community, and the world.

In social studies classes at Frederick, teachers have been planning their lessons around this month. In class, we have been watching educational videos such as the documentary on Tuskegee airmen. We have also been learning about propaganda and how images during WWII were able to make people feel emotionally connected toward supporting black men and women giving them more opportunities. Black history month is important and a lot of prominent African-Americans are missing from school textbooks. Frederick’s social studies department is ensuring that we watch videos like the Tuskegee Airmen Documentary. They believe it is important to explore deeper into black history and see Black people and their contributions to America.

“The story of the airmen is missing from many U.S. history books in high schools and colleges” Stephen Steals

Black History Month focuses on the contributions of African Americans to the United States. It honors all Black people from all periods of U.S. history, from the enslaved people first brought over from Africa in the early 17th century to African Americans living in the United States today. Frederick High School is ensuring that they are promoting Black History Month and continues the discussion year-round of Black people and their contributions.