This User Does Not Exist

After the events that took place on January 6th multiple social media events have decided to block President Donald Trump’s account.

Mark+Zuckerbergs+post+about+the+banning+of+Donald+Trump.+

George Murnock

Mark Zuckerberg’s’ post about the banning of Donald Trump.

George Murnock, Staff Writer

Social media platforms across the board have made it clear that we will likely not be hearing another tweet or post from President Donald Trump until he is out of office. After the terrorist events that occurred at the capitol on January 6th, platforms like Facebook and Twitter have suspended Trump’s account due to statements that were being made as a way of condoning the violence and attacks made on the Capitol. 

On January 6th in Washington D.C. Trump supporters gathered together to raid the Capitol. It was speculated that the terrorists had the intent of kidnapping and possibly harming government officials that were inside. The event was terrifying to watch as it unfolded and began to make many Americans extremely fearful. President Trump then finally recorded a message for his supporters raiding the capital and stated: 

“I just, again, I want to thank you. It’s just a great honor to have this kind of crowd and to be before you. Hundreds of thousands of American patriots are committed to the honesty of our elections and the integrity of our glorious republic. All of us here today do not want to see our election victory stolen by emboldened radical left Democrats, which is what they’re doing and stolen by the fake news media.”

Because of these statements, social media platforms started suspending and blocking his accounts for fear of inciting a riot and encouraging violence. Facebook was the first to start by stating on Thursday:

“We believe the risks of allowing the President to continue to use our service during this period are simply too great, therefore, we are extending the block we have placed on his Facebook and Instagram accounts indefinitely and for at least the next two weeks until the peaceful transition of power is complete.” 

A day later Twitter decided to take Facebook’s lead and decide that enough was enough by also stating:

“After close review of recent Tweets from the @realDonaldTrump account and the context around them — specifically how they are being received and interpreted on and off Twitter — we have permanently suspended the account due to the risk of further incitement of violence.”                                 

President Trump has made statements that condone violence throughout the past week.  Many corporation officials as well as, college professors have questioned the acts of these social media platforms. Thierry Brenton, a European Union’s commissioner being one of them stated: 

“But currently, online platforms lack legal clarity about how they should treat illegal content on their networks. This leaves our societies with too many questions about when content should or shouldn’t be blocked,”

This is one of the biggest dilemmas that a lot of Americans are trying to figure out. Some believe that it was fair to block Donald Trump from posting and making any further statements due to the fear of what else could have been said and what other violence could have been encouraged. Others, however, believe that his accounts being blocked were nothing but unfair as he was doing nothing wrong. Donald Trump’s accounts on multiple social media platforms are currently blocked at the moment. This does not mean that they will stay blocked but nobody really knows what’s going to happen and whether they will stay blocked or not.