BREAKING NEWS: Cal-Wood Fire Threatens Lyons

Boulder County Government

This is a map of where the fires are located. Make sure you stay safe.

Kylie Rusco, Staff Writer

A new fire has ignited near the Cal-Wood Education Center. Reported on October 17th at around 1pm, the strong chinook winds blowing through Colorado have caused the Cal-Wood, as well as the other wildfires in the state, to spread quickly and prevent containment efforts. With the Cal-Wood spreading over 1,000 acres in 24 hours, several Boulder County residents have had to evacuate. This includes some St. Vrain students, as the residents of Lyons Park Estates have had to evacuate as the flames sit only eight miles away from Lyons Middle/High School.

The condition of the Cal-Wood Fire is constantly being assessed and watched by officials. The sudden outbreak of fires in Colorado is the result of the dry weather with very low rainfall this past summer. The Cal-Wood Fire has spread 10,073 acres since the start of the fire on October 17. Multiple roads and open spaces have been evacuated by officials, including County Road 37, South St. Vrain, Heil Valley Ranch, and Hall Ranch.

Officials have stated the fire is “growing fast” and they have five air tankers to work to control it. The smoke is covering the sky and causing some medical issues for certain people. The fire is named after the Cal-Wood Education Center where many different elementary schoolers and middle schoolers can go as a summer camp or as a class trip, including some schools in St. Vrain Valley.

With the different cold fronts approaching this weekend it will be a huge help to contain the fire, but there are still hot and dry days in the forecast, which is a large concern for fire officials. Lyons Park Estates residents have been evacuated as a safety precaution, yet officials are confident that they won’t have to evacuate the town of Lyons as the fire is 24% contained at this point. The fire has already damaged 26 houses in the area. Officials are still working to find the source of this fire as they are asking witnesses for statements.

The Boulder Valley Humane Society (2323 55th Street in Boulder) as well as The Longmont Humane Society (9595 Nelson Road in Longmont) will be housing pets to lend a helping hand. The Boulder County Fairgrounds at 9595 Nelson Road in Longmont will be housing larger animals such as livestock, horses, cows, pigs, chickens, goats, etc. If you would like to help residents affected by the fire, please donate through the American Red Cross.