Warriors Kick Off the Year with a new Equality Club

The warrior response to social injustice

Chandler Hoel, Staff Writer

This year has been a long one, full of trials and tribulations for the whole world. Over the past few months, anger in the hearts of many Americans has bubbled up to an overflowing boil. With the murders of Breonna Taylor, George Floyd and countless others due to police brutality, Americans have had enough. The time to act is now, and the time to educate has never been clearer. This year at Frederick High, our teachers Ms. Carotenuto, Mr. Liss and Ms. Quantz have come together to make a group that will educate, discuss, and act on social and racial issues. Carotenuto and Liss say, “we hope students contribute to creating a positive culture of acceptance at FHS and in the community.”

Equality Club was created in order to help students learn about social issues that they are passionate about. “We are passionate about the lives and experiences of our students. We want to take an active role in helping students educate themselves about issues they want to learn more about.” The goals of this club are to educate and take action on these issues. Students will be able to kind-of guide where the club goes and what they do.”The possibilities are unknown and it’s exciting!” advisors say, “although we’re meeting virtually, you can feel a sense of purpose and enthusiasm from our amazing students.”

This club is important to a lot of students for many reasons. When things like this are going on in your own community, it’s hard to find a voice and find people who agree with what you are advocating for. In Equality club, students will come together and make a difference in our school and community. “We hope to give students the voices they need to advocate for their interests.” There first meeting is October 12. Since the club is so new, it’s hard to tell what is going on so far, but the school and staff are eager to see what the club will be capable of in the future.