Benefits of the PSAT/SAT

The PSAT can help and benefit many students for their future. Taking these tests has multiple benefits for your future.

Joselyn Carrillo, Staff Writer

As the year starts students freshman, sophomores, and juniors will take the annual PSAT, juniors later in the year will take the SAT. PSAT stands for Preliminary Scholastic Aptitude Test. Taking this practice test first is very beneficial for many of the students as it will give them an idea of how the SAT will be. Scholarships are also another great benefit that this PSAT can provide. The PSAT is just like a practice test. While the SAT will help students with college application.

On the PSAT and SAT both include the ability to read,write, and be able to do math. The PSAT does not include an essay which the SAT does. Mostly all 11th graders or juniors are allowed to take the SAT. Only 2,500 Finalists are chosen to receive one-time scholarships of $2500 according to Educational Advocates.

“I sometimes I dont think it can represent how smart someone is but I do understand why it’s useful for colleges” states former student at Frederick High school Hannah Romero.

According to the National Merit Scholarship Corporation the PSAT/SAT does have connections to Scholarships. This is beneficial for many students because if anyone is planning on getting scholarships for their college journey then the PSAT/SAT is a great opportunity to try to earn a scholarship.  Although the score someone gets on the PSAT doesn’t really matter, the SAT is actually the opposite. On the SAT SCORES DO MATTER! 

Many colleges and universities do care about one’s SAT scores. The SAT score is so important that it can determine if one gets accepted to your wished college or university. Not only do your SAT scores help you get into your dream college but your scores show your strengths and readiness. According to Big Future your scores aren’t the whole part of the application but is just one part of your college application, along with grades, course rigor and recommendations. 

“ I don’t like taking the PSAT because I just don’t see the point of taking it but I do agree that it can prepare me for the real test, the SAT” states a former student Natalie Carley at Frederick high school. 

Although there are many opinions on the PSAT/SAT there are many benefits to these tests but many might think otherwise. Good or bad it is safe to say that by taking the PSAT can prepare you for the real deal, the SAT.