Blessings of the Current Year

Emma Phillips, Sports Editor

Thanksgiving Day is an annual national holiday in the United States and Canada that celebrates the harvest and other blessings of the current year. Americans generally believe that their Thanksgiving is modeled on a 1621 harvest feast shared by the English colonists or known as Pilgrims. The American holiday is particularly rich in legend and the traditional fare of the Thanksgiving meal usually includes turkey, bread stuffing, potatoes, deviled eggs, pumpkin pie and so much more. The holiday is typically the busiest of the year as family members and friends gather with one another. Friendsgiving is also another “celebrated holiday” where you bring food and enjoy it with your friends instead of your family. 

The article “Thanksgiving 2022 – Tradition, Origins, & Meaning – HISTORY’’  explains that Thanksgiving has been celebrated for over 2 centuries. “In September 1620, a small ship called the Mayflower left Plymouth, England, carrying 102 passengers—an assortment of religious separatists seeking a new home where they could freely practice their faith and other individuals lured by the promise of prosperity and land ownership in the “New World.” After a treacherous and uncomfortable crossing that lasted 66 days, they dropped anchor near the tip of Cape Cod, far north of their intended destination at the mouth of the Hudson River. One month later, the Mayflower crossed Massachusetts Bay, where the Pilgrims, as they are now commonly known, began the work of establishing a village at Plymouth”. 

I think everyone can say their favorite thing about Thanksgiving is all the food they get to eat. All students get a week off to celebrate with their family and stuff their faces for one day and then eat those leftovers for the next week. Now on the parents side, they get to spend time with their kids and their family and appreciate everything they have. The day after Thanksgiving is everyone’s favorite day, Black Friday Shopping. Every shop has sales on everything in their store. What’s better than having a week off, having a day to eat all the food you want and then go shopping the next day and spend hundreds of dollars on things 50%-75% off. Buying things you don’t even need because it’s 87% off the original price. 

Current Frederick High School student, Kaya Paluda says “Yes I like Thanksgiving a lot. My favorite part of Thanksgiving is seeing my family that I don’t typically get to see. The food is always the best part. I get to eat so much. I think Thanksgiving means getting together with family and having a good time which is important because family should be everyone’s first choice. My family’s tradition is everyone making their favorite food and desserts and bringing them all together and being able to play games. I think my favorite food during Thanksgiving would probably be mac and cheese.” 

I think one of my favorite things about Thanksgiving is getting together with family, playing games and eating good food. It’s an important holiday to give thanks and be appreciative of the previous year.