All Geared Up For The Journey Ahead

Christopher Tone

River Lakey During The Game Against Mead High School

Lena Siscoe, Staff Writer

Sports at Frederick High School have had to make many sacrifices this year due to the COVID-19 pandemic. While most sports were pushed until spring, the football team at Frederick was able to play a few games before a devastating cancellation of the season. Sophomore River Lakey hasn’t let a season cancellation stop him from staying on his grind when it comes to his passion for football.

River Lakey is a well-known varsity football player at Frederick High School. Since River has been playing football he says it has opened opportunities such as having more motivation and meeting new people. He was asked in an interview why he is inspired to play football he said, “The lessons it has taught me and the journey.” River has been playing football ever since he was four years old. He says Saquon Barkley and Marquise Goodwin have influenced him the most throughout his football journey. River says his motivation not only in football but in everyday life is, “ To make my mom happy when she’s older, and my journey.”

River has enjoyed being a part of a team sport he says, “The bond you make with the people on your team, the struggle, and the victory. It teaches you that there are others out there working just as hard or harder.” He enjoys the sport with his teammates because of all of the positive energy surrounding the game, the team, and the inside jokes between teammates such as, “The Juice”. Sports games can usually make players antsy and nervous, but River tackles the game with confidence and skill. He says that his special routine or superstition before he plays a big game is, “I visualize me scoring before every game, and make sure I eat well.” Even with this year‘s football season being canceled River wants to head into next year’s season with his top game ready to go.

Every time River plays football he always finds a way to make himself better. In an interview he was asked what emotions he feels when he plays well, River said, “Happy, wondering who saw my game and what I need to work on”. He has always persisted on the field and off to make sure he is at his best for the sport. Rivers off-season life for football consists of a strict training schedule, he says, “I usually try to do some kind of exercise and lifting every day for the off-season.” River says he wants to continue football past high school and be in the NFL leagues. Based on his favorite NFL football team the San Francisco 49ers I’m sure when the time comes he definitely won’t pass up the chance to play for the 49ers. River has been persistent in his passion for football in the midst of all that is going on in the world. To get him through all of this River says his favorite sports quote to tie everything together is, “When you’re good at something, you’ll tell everyone. When you’re great at something they’ll tell you.” -Walter Payton.