DWP: Driving While on a Phone
Kendan Cartwright, Staff Writer • May 21, 2024
The pacer test feels like an old unneeded tradition.
Fit or Frustrating?
Sierra Sanchez, Staff Writer • May 20, 2024
Zendaya brings the heat in new film ‘Challengers’
Match Made in Heaven
Kaya Paluda, Editor in Chief • May 17, 2024

MATTHEW SIAS: Throwing a Pitch Into the Future

Senior Matthew Sias shows promise and perseverance in everything he does
Matthew Sias
Senior Matthew Sais smiles at the camera during his senior photos in the great outdoors. Matthew is a leader and inspiration to all as he is filled with passion and enthusiasm.

Senior Matthew Sias is a shining example of dedication and perseverance, with a passion for both academics and athletics. This has defined his high school journey making it fun and memorable before Matthew prepare’s to move on to the next chapter of his life. After graduation, Matthew plans to attend Colorado State University to study business and real estate. Matthew would like to pursue a career in the housing business, whether that be as a realtor or as a contractor.

With nine years of baseball experience under Matthew’s belt, he has been a cornerstone of Frederick High’s baseball team, contributing his skills, leadership and humor over the past four years. Even though this is his first year on varsity, he has still shown so much dedication and commitment to the Frederick baseball program. Throughout his life he has played baseball for 8 years, basketball for 6, and flag football for around 4 years.

Senior Matthew Sias pitching on the mound during a game. Matthew sports number 19 in his Golden Eagle baseball jersey as he wears it with pride and dignity. (Matthew Sias)

Maintaining a 3.9 GPA throughout high school, Matthew has demonstrated a strong commitment to academics. His dedication to learning and showing up to class has been further recognized with getting academic letters each year. Reflecting on his high school experience, Matthew wants to share invaluable advice for incoming freshmen, “I would tell a freshman to always stay true to themselves, be who they really are and to always face the troubles in life face on. How you work through adversity and struggles define who you are as a person so always work hard and you will come out on top.”

Matthew Sias glares at the camera in his uniform, while he holds his baseball mit in his left hand. (Matthew Sias)

Both on and off the field, Matthew has learned plenty of valuable life lessons. From the importance of building meaningful relationships to how sports have shaped his outlook on life. “I have learned that being friendly and connecting with others makes life so much easier. Building relationships with others is crucial in school and life. In school, if you have good relationships with your teachers, they will be willing to work with you to help achieve your goals like getting good grades. The same goes with other students and making friends, having good relationships with others makes for a happier life and school experience. One thing I have learned from baseball is that in life, you will always face hardship but by buckling down and working hard, you can achieve anything you want but you must be willing to do the work. When you are actually willing to fully commit and persevere, that is when you will accomplish what you desire.” Before graduating high school, Matthew hopes to have a clearer idea of what the rest of his life will look like and finish out the semester with As and Bs.

Matthew has always been such a laid back person who tries to make the best out of every situation and someone who thrives in adversity. As Matthew prepares to spread his wings and move into the next phase of his life, his legacy of hard work, determination, and integrity will continue to inspire people who are around him.