21’s American Dream

21 Savage did what he needed to with his new album
21+Savage+did+not+disappoint+with+his+recently+released+album.+This+album+has+great+features+as+well+as+21%E2%80%99s+tracks+alone.+
Apple Music
21 Savage did not disappoint with his recently released album. This album has great features as well as 21’s tracks alone.

21 Savage has always been more of a drill rap artist but with his most recent album “American Dream” he seemed to try to stray away from just trap music and more into lyrical rap music. His song with Mariah The Scientist called “dark days” is a prime example of his switch from hard drill to more lyrical than previous albums. This album is filled with features from highly credited artists in R&B and rap such as Brent Faiyaz, Mariah the scientist, lil durk, Travis Scott, metro boomin, young thug, and summer walker.

Now yes this album still features drill rap songs but it has quite a few more experimental lyrical songs. Some people are unsure about the album and don’t seem to like the switch but while listening to this album for the first time I was pleasantly surprised to hear 21 savage try to connect more with his fans with the more lyrical songs. On the song “dark days” he tells people not to resort to violence when his older music is pretty much exclusively about violence. 

Although some of the features weren’t so good like Doja Cats verse on n.h.i.e and Young Thugs verse. Most of the features on this album were incredible. Travis Scott delivered on “née-nah” lots of people all over social media were talking about how it reminds them of older Travis Scott. Brent faiyaz delivered on “should’ve wore a bonnet” the song itself wasn’t the best on the album but Brent’s verse on vocals were great. 

There were a lot of good songs on the album and there were also quite a few bad songs. Some of the best songs were redrum, red sky, née-nah, and prove it. These were the best for their beat, vocals, and lyrics. Some of the bad songs were n.h.i.e, see the real, and letter to my brudda. These were the worst because they didn’t deliver on beats, vocals, or lyrics. 

Now its unlikely 21 savages “american dream” will be album of the year but it was a fantastic way to start the year.