Leave This Movie Behind

New Netflix film is a hit or miss
This+new+Netflix+film+wasnt+everything+viewers+expected.+Certainly+the+reviews+are+very+mixed+seeing+that+the+film+was+either+hit+or+miss.+
Netflix
This new Netflix film wasn’t everything viewers expected. Certainly the reviews are very mixed seeing that the film was either hit or miss.

“Leave the World Behind” is a Netflix adaptation of Rumen Alam’s novel of the same name. It was released on Netflix on December 8, 2023. A familiar face, Julia Roberts, is the star of the movie, and her part was well played. The story revolves around a couple and their children who rent a luxurious vacation home in a remote area to get away from people. Their peaceful retreat is disrupted when an older couple arrives, claiming to be the owners of the house, seeking safety from an apocalyptic event happening in the outside world. This unexpected visit leads to tension, uncertainty, and a sense of unease as the families try to understand the circumstances as well as the larger crisis unfolding outside.

Their meeting was the start of everything. After both couples were uncertain of what was even happening. (Netflix)

The movie shows societal collapse, trust, and the fear of the unknown. As the family tried to stay calm and cope with uncertainty and danger, they just couldn’t seem to escape it. With this movie having thriller elements, the film seems to rely on suspense and tension to keep audiences engaged. However, the movie was odd. If you miss a part, you can get entirely confused about what is going on in general. There are so many questions throughout the film, like, What’s up with the deer? Why the loud noise? Why is the daughter obsessed with the show Friends?

Throughout the movie, there are different parts, which unfortunately made the movie two hours long, entirely too long for a confusing movie. Without spoiling the movie, there are five parts that explain what goes on in the section, which is still very confusing. Part 1 is isolation, and it’s the family going to an Airbnb to get away on vacation. A day at the beach, and an oil tanker heads straight to shore, causing panic. Later that day, they had an unexpected visit, and their service to their phones stopped working. Part 2 is about the curve and its misinformation and chaos. Part 3 is the noise, and it is a really unsettling noise that makes them deaf and in pain. This noise happens a couple of times throughout the movie. This part was oddly confusing because, the son, Archie’s teeth started to rot, and he started just pulling his teeth out. Part 4 is the flood, where there are more things needed than normal. In the section, the daughter Rose is standing outside looking at a bunch of deer because their migration pattern was all messed up. Confused yet? The last part is the end, which is the end of the movie. I would never have guessed. The ending is absolutely terrible because it makes no sense. Rose starts to wander and finds a house. In that house, she finds a bunker and then finds a DVD of the finale of the show “Friends” and starts to watch it, and the movie cuts off there.

Even though the movie was an overall flop and a waste of 2 hours. However, it has had a lot of success, and individual opinions can vary widely. Some viewers might appreciate the suspenseful atmosphere and the performances of the cast, while others might find the film slow or the storyline too long. Which is the case in this scenario. The movie was boring in some parts and not so much in other areas. If you’re a fan of psychological thrillers or dramas that explore human behavior in extreme situations, “Leave the World Behind” might be worth watching. As always, opinions about films can be diverse, so it might be intriguing to watch and form your own perspective on the movie. You might surprise yourself.