DWP: Driving While on a Phone
Kendan Cartwright, Staff Writer • May 21, 2024
The pacer test feels like an old unneeded tradition.
Fit or Frustrating?
Sierra Sanchez, Staff Writer • May 20, 2024
Zendaya brings the heat in new film ‘Challengers’
Match Made in Heaven
Kaya Paluda, Editor in Chief • May 17, 2024

Vultures 1 Doesn’t Soar to New Heights

Ye and Ty Dolla $ign drop an uneven but decent collab album
The album cover for Vultures 1, which caused controversy upon the albums release. An earlier version that had the male figure (West himself) wearing a white hockey mask was removed for infringing on horror icon Jason Voorhees. The album cover has also been described as pornographic as the woman in the photo, who is Wests current romantic partner Bianca Censori, only wears a short loincloth and thigh-high boots that expose most of her rear (we have added a black bar to this photo over this portion to make the image appropriate for our readers).
YZY Records
The album cover for Vultures 1, which caused controversy upon the albums release. An earlier version that had the male figure (West himself) wearing a white hockey mask was removed for infringing on horror icon Jason Voorhees. The album cover has also been described as pornographic as the woman in the photo, who is West’s current romantic partner Bianca Censori, only wears a short loincloth and thigh-high boots that expose most of her rear (we have added a black bar to this photo over this portion to make the image appropriate for our readers).

The newest album by Kanye West (now known as Ye), Vultures 1 is his first collaborative effort with Ty Dolla $ign as the supergroup ¥$, but West doesn’t put his best foot forward. Vultures 1 is a mixed bag. Hampered by a delayed release date, some parts of the album are stellar while others fall flat.

One aspect that stands out universally is the production quality. The beats and overall sound are undeniably impressive, with tracks like “Burn” showcasing captivating keys and synths that contribute to its catchiness. Similarly, “Good (Don’t Die)” is another notable track, addressing serious themes such as battling dark thoughts and striving for positivity. Ty Dolla $ign’s contributions, particularly his hooks, significantly enhance the appeal of these songs.

However, the album isn’t entirely positive. While some tracks, including “Stars” and “Keys to My Life,” feature deep lyrics and appealing beats, making them commendable, others like “Hoodrat” and “Do It” are criticized for their repetitiveness and lack of innovation. “Paid” is another track that falls short, attempting to pack too much into a short duration, resulting in a somewhat chaotic sound.

The lyrical content of Vultures 1 is also a point of contention. There are moments of thought-provoking and intriguing verses, but they are often offset by lines that come across as cringeworthy. In the title track “Vultures,” Kanye addresses some of his personal controversies, which may not resonate well with all listeners. This mixture of lyrical depth and mediocrity contributes to the overall unevenness of the album.

Despite these criticisms, it’s important to recognize the strengths of Vultures 1. The production is a highlight, demonstrating a high level of craftsmanship. The collaboration with Ty Dolla $ign also brings a unique flavor to the album, with his parts adding significant value to the tracks. Nevertheless, these positive elements are not enough to elevate the album to the level expected from Kanye West.

In conclusion, Vultures 1 presents a mixed experience. While it boasts high production quality and notable contributions from Ty Dolla $ign, it falls short in other areas. The album doesn’t showcase Kanye at his best, with inconsistent lyrical quality and some tracks that fail to impress. It’s not his worst effort, but it’s far from his best. Fans might find a few tracks to enjoy, but overall, it’s an album that might not leave a lasting impact. Vultures 1 is ultimately a letdown compared to the high standards Kanye West has set in the past.

Vultures 2 is set to release on May 3.